Tuesday, June 19, 2012

McSpicy Paneer (Even McDonalds has to regionalize their business model)


On my current vacation to India, I decided to indulge in some McDonalds with my cousins. As we pulled up to the drive-through, I couldn't help but smile as I saw the menu which was full of items such as the "McSpicy Paneer" and "McAloo Tikka Burger." The burgers are spicy and so is the ketchup!

It made me realize that even the extremely well-known McDonalds has to be sensitive to the region they are in to remain profitable. The majority of Indians simply won't buy the "Angus Bacon & Cheese Wrap" or "Quarter Pounder with Cheese." In general, Indian people don't like meat, and they prefer lighter burgers without lots cheese.

On the other hand, some McDonald items seem to appeal to the palates of both Indians and Americans (for example, The McFlurries and Filet-O-Fish)

It was the corporation's job to determine what to change and what to keep the same, and I'm sure those decisions came after much consideration.

If you're curious as to what the McDonalds menu looks like in other countries around the world, here's a wiki link where you can see some of the items on each menu internationally:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_availability_of_McDonald's_products

No comments:

Post a Comment